Monday, April 19, 2010

Reeking Havok

I would have written sooner than now.
But I've been sitting in my own filth since the last post.
Trying to kill the Armored Spider in Demon's Souls.
I finally beat him earlier this week.
So, I can start ogling girls outside of La Senza again.
That's a real job.
A real job like killing that Armored Spider.
It's nice to fight a boss with uncertainty.
Well, it's nice until you die and have to go farm more healing items.
Y'know what Demon's Souls reminds me of?
Mega Man.
Seriously, though.
You progress through a level, not knowing what you'll run into next.
Then you run into it.
Then it kills you.
Then you start over.
There's a rhythm to the levels; a pace.
Want proof?
Do a level that you've done a hundred times already (Boletarian Palace, probably)...
...completely backwards.
I still haven't seen the dog that shoots energy balls from its' tail.

Reviewers complained about the physics in the game.
Particularly with the dead bodies.
And their tendency to tango around when you walk into them.
This is on damned good authority.
The Havok physics are, for once in gaming history (maybe), piss poor.
But, I've figured out how to appreciate them.
I learned it with my wizard, and have since translated it to my thief:
Savour the death of every jerkoff that you kill.
Which you should be doing anyway.
Administer a finishing blow, and then stand perfectly still.
They sort of die convincingly then.
Beyond that, try to walk around their dead bodies instead of through them.
That's the best I can tell you, though.
If you're fighting in close-quarters, my suggestion is null and void.
Speaking of which, that lock-on camera, though crucial, can and will fuck you at times.
In a game where you're already getting fucked so frequently...

No comments:

Post a Comment